Subject: Re: I'm new
From: [email-masked] (Mark Read)

8 Mar 1998 12:19:27 -0800
Message-ID: <006601bd4a9b$67297b40$299f23cb.cygnus.gnu-win32@markread>
Reply-To: "Mark Read" <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>

Hi Vicki.

In a nut-shell, GNU-WIN32 is a free (yes, free!) C (and C++) compiler that
runs in a Windows 95/NT (32 bit) environment (your development environment).

You can use it to either:

a) port Unix to Windows 95/NT: take standard Unix C programs and compile
them under GNU-WIN32, usually without changing a single line or source code,
and produce a binary (exe) that will run on a Wintel (Windows 95/NT on Intel
architecture).

b) write C or C++ programs under the Windows 95/NT development environment
(from scratch or from your existing projects in some cases) and either
compile for a Windows binary or take to source and compile it under a Unix
environment.

The FAQ and RELEASE files located on the Cygnus home page (www.cygnus.com)
(click on the CYG32WIN icon on the left edge) has a lot more information.

Cheers, Mark.

-----Original Message-----
From: Vicki <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: Sunday, 8 March 1998 17:52
Subject: I'm new

>I'm new to this gnu stuff, what does GNU-WIN32 supposed to do?
>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
>"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
>

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".