Subject: RE: Vim 5.0 & Cygwin32 b19
From: [email-masked] (Cook, John)

8 Mar 1998 01:12:37 -0800
Message-ID: <DD1A417EB683D111828300A024C34463370147.cygnus.gnu-win32@SJXPR05>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]

Wayne Smith ([email-masked]) writes:
>I compiled vim 5.0 with Cygwin32 b19. Vim seems ok with TERM=ansi, but
I
>cannot get any colour (syntax highlighting). Has anyone succeeded in
making
>this work?

I find that vim-5.0 highlighting works fine under Cygwin32 with 
term=ansi or term=linux.  I prefer the latter; on my PC, the ansi 
term setting doesn't respect most of the special keys like function 
keys and page-up; also the screen redraw works better for a split 
screen (multiple windows).  There may be a small problem with the Normal

highlighting group (I reported this in a recent message to vimdev), 
but it's nothing I can't live with.  I define the TERM variable 
under bash instead of using 'set term=' in my .vimrc; I don't know 
if this makes a difference.

Be sure you have this line in your .vimrc:

  source $VIM/syntax/syntax.vim

I find that some of the default colors are too dark in Cygwin32 
vim-5.0 for these terminal types.  You might try setting up your own 
colors as follows.

Add this line to your .vimrc after the 'source $VIM/syntax/syntax.vim' 
line:

  let mysyntaxfile="$VIM/syntax/mysyntax.vim"

Then create a file in your $VIM/syntax directory called 'mysyntax.vim' 
and define your colors there.  The Cygwin32 terminal has these colors
available:

  "colorBlack       term=NONE cterm=NONE ctermfg=0 ctermbg=0
  "colorDarkRed     term=NONE cterm=NONE ctermfg=1 ctermbg=0
  "colorDarkGreen   term=NONE cterm=NONE ctermfg=2 ctermbg=0
  "colorBrown       term=NONE cterm=NONE ctermfg=3 ctermbg=0
  "colorDarkBlue    term=NONE cterm=NONE ctermfg=4 ctermbg=0
  "colorDarkMagenta term=NONE cterm=NONE ctermfg=5 ctermbg=0
  "colorDarkCyan    term=NONE cterm=NONE ctermfg=6 ctermbg=0
  "colorLightGray   term=NONE cterm=NONE ctermfg=7 ctermbg=0
  "colorDarkGray    term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=0 ctermbg=0
  "colorRed         term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=1 ctermbg=0
  "colorGreen       term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=2 ctermbg=0
  "colorYellow      term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=3 ctermbg=0
  "colorBlue        term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=4 ctermbg=0
  "colorMagenta     term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=5 ctermbg=0
  "colorCyan        term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=6 ctermbg=0
  "colorWhite       term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=7 ctermbg=0

Here is the set I use:

  highlight Comment           term=NONE cterm=NONE ctermfg=7 ctermbg=0
  highlight Constant          term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=6 ctermbg=0
  highlight Special           term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=5 ctermbg=0
  highlight Identifier        term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=1 ctermbg=0
  highlight Statement         term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=3 ctermbg=0
  highlight PreProc           term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=5 ctermbg=0
  highlight Type              term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=1 ctermbg=0
  highlight Directory         term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=6 ctermbg=0
  highlight SpecialKey        term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=6 ctermbg=0
  highlight Title             term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=6 ctermbg=0
  highlight Question          term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=5 ctermbg=0
  highlight MoreMsg           term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=5 ctermbg=0
  highlight ModeMsg           term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=7 ctermbg=0
  highlight Search            term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=3 ctermbg=1
  highlight NonText           term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=1 ctermbg=0
  highlight LineNr            term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=3 ctermbg=0
  highlight WarningMsg        term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=3 ctermbg=0
  highlight ToDo              term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=7 ctermbg=1

  highlight ErrorMsg          term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=7 ctermbg=1
  highlight StatusLine        term=NONE cterm=reverse
  highlight Visual            term=NONE cterm=reverse
  highlight Error             term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=7 ctermbg=1

  highlight shFunction        term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=6 ctermbg=1
  highlight shShellVariables  term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=2 ctermbg=1
  highlight shOperator        term=NONE cterm=bold ctermfg=5 ctermbg=1

You also may want to put this in mysyntax.vim (some of the syntax 
files look at this variable):

  let bash_is_sh=1

I hope this helps,

--John
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".