Subject: NT Programs that read input fail under b19
From: [email-masked] (Gordon Watts Brown University)

7 Mar 1998 16:23:20 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: gnu-win cygnus mailing list <[email-masked]>

Hi,
  I've written a short program, in msvc++, that works fine when run from the
dos shell, but fails when run from bash 2.01 (b19, no coolview). The program
prints a message to stdout and then tries to read something from stdin. The
print works just fine, but nothing gets read in (I suspect it sees an end of
file).

  I've include the file below. Build this in msvc++ 5.0 as a console
application. After doing "chmod a+x simple_io.exe" you should be able to run
it from the bash command line. It will print out everything, but never give
you a chance to enter any input. Running from the DOS prompt will work fine.
I think all of this worked just fine under b18.

  I suspect the thing that makes this fail is the same thing that makes
other programs like python fail (as reported eariler on this list).

  How hard is it to debug something like the cygwin (or this problem)? I
suspect I can build the cygwin dll, but I'm not confident of my debugging
capabilities with... gee, I don't even know what tool I would use under
cygwin (I've never really used unix heavily... uh, dbx? Mostly I use the MS
debugger. :-)).

	Cheers,
		Gordon.

P.S. I tested this guy with the latest coolview patches.

//
// simple_io.cpp
//
// The b19 release seemed to have disabled reading input from non-cygwin
apps.
// This guy attempts to reproduce the problem
//

#include <iostream>

int main()
{
	std::cout << "hi there!" << std::endl;
	std::cout << "Enter something: ";

	char buffer[1000];
	std::cin >> buffer;

	std::cout << "You said: " << buffer << std::endl;
	std::cout << "Bye." << std::endl;

	return 0;
}

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".