Subject: Re: B19: problems with vi - CYGWIN32 variable - mixed case filenames
From: [email-masked] (Christopher Faylor)

7 Mar 1998 16:22:09 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

In article <[email-masked]>,
Ludovic LANGE  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I have a problem with vi, ie I'm not able to succesfully edit a file
>with an absolute pathname. It may be or not a problem with vi, but here
>is what happens. I want to edit the file "foo.bar" in directory
>"/mydir/nextdir", which is current directory.

Where did this `vi' come from?  I am using VIM 5.0P and it performs
these operations successfully.  Are you possibly using a non-cygwin version
of vi?

>CYGWIN32 variable:
>------------------
>
>Can someone explain me with more details than in the FAQ, what are the
>meanings of the options for the CYGWIN32 variable ?
>In particular, "strip_title", "binmode", "glob",
>"strace=mask:cache,file"

[no]strip_title	- works in conjunction with 'title'.  Strips the path spec
		  from what is displayed in the console title bar when the
		  program is run.

[no]binmode	- Use 'binmode' as the default open mode when the mode is
		  not otherwise specified in the open or by mount.

[no]glob	- Do not perform globbing operations on the command line when
		  a cygwin process is being invoked from a non-cygwin shell.

strace		- A cygwinb19.dll debugging aid.  Setting mask to '1' will
		  cause reams of information about the operation of cygwin
		  to be written to 'file' as cygwin operates.  The rest
		  of the bits control the display various cygwin subsystems.
		  For a complete list check out /usr/include/sys/strace.h.
		  The cache setting controls how much strace output will be
		  held in memory before being output to disk.

>Mixed case filenames:
>---------------------
>
>(All this is related with NT systems, dunno of 95)
>I may have missed a discussion in this mailing list, but I want to
>understand why it isn't possible to use mixed-case filenames.
>I know that in previous betas a trick was used to enable this, but I was
>thinking of using the Windows filesystems features.
>It may be not possible with FAT filesystems, but Microsoft say it is
>possible with NTFS to use mixed-case filenames.

It is possible to have mixed case filenames using the POSIX subsystem.
I'm sure that any patches to perform this functionality in a way that could
be easily turned on and off (a mount option, maybe?) would be seriously
considered.
-- 
http://www.bbc.com/	[email-masked]			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".