Subject: Long startup times in cygwin
From: [email-masked] (Gordon Watts Brown University)

7 Mar 1998 16:20:11 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: gnu-win cygnus mailing list <[email-masked]>

Hi,
  I, too, am observing very long startup times for bash. I spent a little
time characterizing them.

- bash shell startup takes on the order of 20 or 30 seconds.
- running mount from the command line takes 20 or 30 seconds.
- if another bash shell is already running, startup is less than one second,
as does the mount from DOS.
	Looks like the time is spent in the dll startup code??
- startup time is not affected if I remove all my mount points from the
registry
- startup time is not affected if I remove my .bashrc files
- I do not have a local hosts file (a previous email referred to this): who
just fails right away when I run it.
- I set my PATH variable to include only the bin area of the b19
distribution (it contains a lot of over-the-net entries), and that did not
have an effect.
- CPU time is almost zero during this time. No page faults either. Looking
with the performance monitor does not indicates kernel cpu time is less than
5% (so I doubt it is trying to relocated the dll or something like that).

  I figure something is busted in my configuration, so it is only a matter
of figureing out what!

  From here I'm stuck; the next logical thing is to attempt to debug this
thing... Where is a good place to start?

	Cheers,
		Gordon.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".