Subject: Re: Re: B19 unusually slow...
From: [email-masked] (Raj Menon)

7 Mar 1998 11:10:17 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]

> I don't know anything about anything but here's a guess.
> If B19 used slightly more ram than B18, and your system
> was starved for RAM, IE you had ~8-24 MBytes, then a 
> 10% increase in ram consumption could result in a non-linear
> decrease in performance 2x, even 3x.  
> A good test would be to compare mem use under B18 vs B19 
> by looking at 'non-paged pool' (which os are you in 95 or NT?)
> Please specifiy your system configureation when mentioning 
> performance problems

Sorry about that.  I am running NT4 sp3 on a Intel PII 300Mhz with 64
Megs of RAM and a 75 Meg Swap file.  Total Kernal memory used
while running is 9.1 Megs (6.8 paged and 2.3 non-paged).  The
peak memory utilization with all processes running (ie tcsh, emacs, 
ediff etc) is 45Megs well below the limit of 139 Megs.  I strongly 
doubt that it is a memory problem.  I seems more like a
spawn/fork or a IPC/pipe problem.  The coolview patch helping a
bit leads me to belive that a bit more.

I have no problems with helping with the debug, but I have no clue
where to start looking.  "make" not displaying the stderr for failures
is the most pressing problem (see below).  The slow responce, I can 
live with for a little while.

Any help and/or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

-raj

>At 06:37 PM 3/4/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>I have seen a couple of other post about similar problems, but
>>no solutions that worked for me.  I just upgraded to B19 easily.
>>All gnuwin32 programs run significantly slower than in B18 and
>>error info in makes disappears.
>>
>>A make on my project that used to take about 45 seconds in B18
>>now takes over 3 minutes.  Exitting bash or tcsh takes about
>>10-30 seconds (sometime 10, sometimes 20, sometime 30).
>>I added to coolview patches and things got a little better, but
>>not by much.
>>
>>Also, when I run ediff in emacs, refining regions take 8 seconds
>>with b19 when it used to happen almost instantly unde b18.
>>
>>Also, I set CYGWIN32 to tty (from the control pannel) for all users.
>>Still, stderr from b19 programs seem to disappear in bash, tcsh
>>and cmd.exe.  They do show up correctly when I run the compiler
>>by hand outside make.  
>>
>>Also, I have to run make with the win32 setting as some of the NT
based
>>compilers I use return a code that causes make to think
>>it is an error (ie. reaps a losing child instead of a winning child).
>>It seems like "make --unix" does not like the return value of the
>>compiler in a bash/tcsh/cmd window but "make --win32" will 
>>accept it just fine.  All this used to work in B18.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>
>>-raj

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".