Subject: Targeting different user needs
From: [email-masked] (Haakon Alstadheim)

5 Mar 1998 11:43:42 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>

Hi, I'm returning with caution after a corrupt disk drive, and
contemplating wether to install the b19 cygwin.

Before I do that however, I'd like to hear some opinions of which type
of "unix workalike" environment I should install.

Basically what I'm after is text processing utilities and
scripting/shell environments. Typicaly, in no particular order,
perl,sed,tr, gz,tar emacs bash, cat, lpr, {n,t}roff, man, less ....
Now, going the course of "mount -b" is, I believe, still recommended
with cygwin, but that does not work well with text files produced with
dos line-endings. :-(

Is cygwin32 only for people wishing to live totally within their own
tools, or can I, though I'm forced to integrate with apps that produce
dos text, benefit?

Precicely what do I lose if I don't use the -b switch with mount?

For now I'm using the "official" ? perl port from
<http://www.activestate.com/> and a port of gnu sed that does not barf
when given a regular Win NT path-name. Good as far as it goes, but I'd
like more. :-)

Anybody got some heuristics for which type of toolset goes well with
which type of use ?

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".