Subject: B19 and Emacs - some progress
From: [email-masked] (Guy Gascoigne - Piggford)

5 Mar 1998 10:58:50 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: <[email-masked]>

OK, after a bit of delving and a lot of help from the guys on the ntemacs
list I've started to make some progress here.

So far I have bash working correctly, and ediff working, hexl mode is still
hosed  :-(

What I've done is add the following to my .emacs file

----------------------

;; patch to get the Cygnus port of bash (cygwin 19) to work correctly
(load "comint")
(fset 'original-comint-exec-1 (symbol-function 'comint-exec-1))
(defun comint-exec-1 (name buffer command switches)
  (let ((binary-process-input t)
	(binary-process-output nil))
    (original-comint-exec-1 name buffer command switches)))

;; stop using bash for sub processes
(setq shell-file-name "cmdproxy")
;; but use it for interactive shells
(setq explicit-shell-file-name "bash")

----------------------

So far this seems to work, I'd be interested to know if the switch to
cmdproxy fixes the problms some people were seeing with rcs, though why
using cmdproxy works for diff and not for hexl I don't know.

It does seem somewhat ironic that the fix comes from using a program
designed to get around the limitations of not using a 32bit shell, c'est la
vie.

I'll be back when I get hexl-mode working.

It is somewhat annoying though - I use the cygwin tools because they were
better for what I do and not because they were free (since we have an MKS
site licence I could be using their stuff quite easily).  The recent
changes seem to be step away from NT compatability and I'm not sure that
I'm happy with this.  I'll wait until I get stuff working before making a
final judgment since some level of teething problems is to be expected.
We'll see.

Guy

-- 
Guy Gascoigne - Piggford ([email-masked])
Software Engineer, Informix Software, Inc. (Portland, Oregon)
(503) 225-4574,  Fax (503) 221-2633

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".