Subject: Re: B19: problems with vi - CYGWIN32 variable - mixed case filenames
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

4 Mar 1998 06:10:18 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

Has your version of vi been compiled under cygwinb19.  If not it is not 
going to understand the pathnames as they are specified in the mount 
table.  You will need to have an full absolute path including drive 
letter for vi to find your file.

Thank-you for the information on mixed case filename support on NTFS.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                     (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html           (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
ftp://ftp.deninc.com/pub (Den Internet Services - US mirror and ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/     (more - software portals)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/rpm   (Redhat Package Manager)

SEARCH ENGINES WITH gnu-win32 mail archive RELATED INDICIES:
http://www.findmail.com
http://www.search.com

add gnu-win32 or gnuwin32 to the search criteria.

>Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 10:32:39 +0000
>From: Ludovic LANGE <[email-masked]>
>To: Cygnus Mailing List <[email-masked]>
>Subject: B19: problems with vi - CYGWIN32 variable - mixed case 
filenames
>
>I am a pretty new user of CygWin32 and recently switched from B18 to
>B19. I 'd like to thank everybody for the work that has been done on
>cygwin32.
>Here are some topics I'd like to discuss about (using B19):
>
>(**NOTE** : You'll may receive this mail twice, I also am new at
>mailing-list concepts :-). Sorry...)
>
>VI Problems with absolute pathnames:
>---
>I have a problem with vi, ie I'm not able to succesfully edit a file
>with an absolute pathname. It may be or not a problem with vi, but here
>is what happens. I want to edit the file "foo.bar" in directory
>"/mydir/nextdir", which is current directory.
>
>"vi foo.bar" : opens the file, everything is right.
>"vi /mydir/nextdir/foo.bar" : opens an empty file named foo.bar
>"vi ../../mydir/nextdir/foo.bar" : opens the file, everything is right.
>"cat /mydir/nextdir/foo.bar" : shows the file, everything is right.
>
>notes: 1) "/" (root) is a mounted directory (C:\Root_Unix), not C:\
>2) All my mounts are done using "-b" (text=3Dbinary)
>3) I am using Windows NT 4.0 French SP3, NTFS partition
>4) There was the same problem with B18, although it was less frequent
>
>Any suggestions ?
>
>
>CYGWIN32 variable:
>------------------
>
>Can someone explain me with more details than in the FAQ, what are the
>meanings of the options for the CYGWIN32 variable ?
>In particular, "strip_title", "binmode", "glob",
>"strace=3Dmask:cache,file"
>
>
>Mixed case filenames:
>---------------------
>
>(All this is related with NT systems, dunno of 95)
>I may have missed a discussion in this mailing list, but I want to
>understand why it isn't possible to use mixed-case filenames.
>I know that in previous betas a trick was used to enable this, but I 
was
>thinking of using the Windows filesystems features.
>It may be not possible with FAT filesystems, but Microsoft say it is
>possible with NTFS to use mixed-case filenames.
>Indeed, if you try the POSIX subsystem (Available on NT resource Kit, 
it
>is more or less a try to add POSIX compatibility/gnu CC/etc.. to
>windows, but in fact it doesn't seem to be usable as I didn't find
>CC.EXE !), you will see that you can create files only differing in
>lower/upper case filename.
>For example:
>C:\NTRESIT\POSIX>sh
>./TOUCH.EXE myfile1
>./TOUCH.EXE MyFile1
>./LS.EXE -al
>-rw-rw-rw-     1  llange  Aucun     0 Mar  3 05:40 MyFile1
>-rw-rw-rw-     1  llange  Aucun     0 Mar  3 05:40 myfile1
>
>And you can play with ./VI.EXE and be convinced that they really are 
two
>different files.
>Of course, this doesn't work with command processor (COMMAND.COM)
>neither most of Windows utilities. But if we are aware of this fact,
>wouldn't it be nice to have such a feature ? It would allow
>makefile/Makefile co-existence (And an easier port of my application to
>NT :-) )
>
>
>Thanks for any explaination...
>--=20
>--- Ludovic LANGE
>--- Ing=E9nieur d'=E9tudes chez Cap Gemini Telecom France
>--- mailto:[email-masked]
>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message 
to
>"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
>

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".