Subject: B19: problems with vi - CYGWIN32 variable - mixed case filenames
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic LANGE)

4 Mar 1998 03:06:42 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: Cygnus Mailing List <[email-masked]>

I am a pretty new user of CygWin32 and recently switched from B18 to
B19. I 'd like to thank everybody for the work that has been done on
cygwin32.
Here are some topics I'd like to discuss about (using B19):

(**NOTE** : You'll may receive this mail twice, I also am new at
mailing-list concepts :-). Sorry...)

VI Problems with absolute pathnames:
---
I have a problem with vi, ie I'm not able to succesfully edit a file
with an absolute pathname. It may be or not a problem with vi, but here
is what happens. I want to edit the file "foo.bar" in directory
"/mydir/nextdir", which is current directory.

"vi foo.bar" : opens the file, everything is right.
"vi /mydir/nextdir/foo.bar" : opens an empty file named foo.bar
"vi ../../mydir/nextdir/foo.bar" : opens the file, everything is right.
"cat /mydir/nextdir/foo.bar" : shows the file, everything is right.

notes: 1) "/" (root) is a mounted directory (C:\Root_Unix), not C:\
2) All my mounts are done using "-b" (text=binary)
3) I am using Windows NT 4.0 French SP3, NTFS partition
4) There was the same problem with B18, although it was less frequent

Any suggestions ?

CYGWIN32 variable:
------------------

Can someone explain me with more details than in the FAQ, what are the
meanings of the options for the CYGWIN32 variable ?
In particular, "strip_title", "binmode", "glob",
"strace=mask:cache,file"

Mixed case filenames:
---------------------

(All this is related with NT systems, dunno of 95)
I may have missed a discussion in this mailing list, but I want to
understand why it isn't possible to use mixed-case filenames.
I know that in previous betas a trick was used to enable this, but I was
thinking of using the Windows filesystems features.
It may be not possible with FAT filesystems, but Microsoft say it is
possible with NTFS to use mixed-case filenames.
Indeed, if you try the POSIX subsystem (Available on NT resource Kit, it
is more or less a try to add POSIX compatibility/gnu CC/etc.. to
windows, but in fact it doesn't seem to be usable as I didn't find
CC.EXE !), you will see that you can create files only differing in
lower/upper case filename.
For example:
C:\NTRESIT\POSIX>sh
../TOUCH.EXE myfile1
../TOUCH.EXE MyFile1
../LS.EXE -al
-rw-rw-rw-     1  llange  Aucun     0 Mar  3 05:40 MyFile1
-rw-rw-rw-     1  llange  Aucun     0 Mar  3 05:40 myfile1

And you can play with ./VI.EXE and be convinced that they really are two
different files.
Of course, this doesn't work with command processor (COMMAND.COM)
neither most of Windows utilities. But if we are aware of this fact,
wouldn't it be nice to have such a feature ? It would allow
makefile/Makefile co-existence (And an easier port of my application to
NT :-) )

Thanks for any explaination...
-- 
--- Ludovic LANGE
--- Ingénieur d'études chez Cap Gemini Telecom France
--- mailto:[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".