Subject: Re: Do we need .exe ????
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

3 Mar 1998 18:15:25 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

>Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 21:02:29 +0200 (IST)
>From: Roman Mitnitski <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Do we need .exe ????
>
>
>
>  Hi.
>
> I'm pretty new to CygWin, and I'm not sure if that was
>discussed before, but here it goes.
>
> Do we really need .exe extension on executable files for NT???
>I copied tar.exe to "tar" in some other directory, and it ran
>(./tar) just fine. I use tcsh port from Sergey Okhapkin and
>it's having huge trouble with .exe files, it breaks scripts etc,
>and you have to type "unhash" all the time... However, when
>I linked (ln -s) all .exe to corresponding filenames without .exe
>in some directory and put it in path before the dir with .exe files,
>and tcsh started to work properly! The only problem with .exe files
>is that they can't be run from Explorer GUI shell.
>
> In short, why can't we have (in future betas) links made to 
>all .exe files, or just strip .exe extension where it is not needed.
>(I guess bash / tcsh is the only program I'll ever start from GUI
>if I want to do some shell work).

But not everyone works that way.  Without the .exe extension as you 
mentioned one would not be able to execute them under MSDOS.  As it is 
you can create a script to create a "ln -s" for all files ending in 
".exe".

>
> One more question, though... Can I (how can I?) convert NT 
authentication
>information to /etc/passwd and /etc/group form?

Two program exist, mkpasswd and mkgroup.  These are only work on NT as 
95 doesn't have authentication.

>I don't care much for encrypted password, but I do want to be able
>to specify startup shell etc for remote telnet logins....
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Roman
>
>

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                     (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html           (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
ftp://ftp.deninc.com/pub (Den Internet Services - US mirror and ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/     (more - software portals)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/rpm   (Redhat Package Manager)

SEARCH ENGINES WITH gnu-win32 mail archive RELATED INDICIES:
http://www.findmail.com
http://www.search.com

add gnu-win32 or gnuwin32 to the search criteria.

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".