Subject: ncurses 4.1 on b19 for win95
From: [email-masked] (Rafael Kitover)

3 Mar 1998 10:30:57 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: [email-masked]

Hi all, thanks for the cygwin32 project, porting real programs to win95 is
something I never thought possible :)

Here's my experience so far in trying to compile ncurses 4.1 on win95
(OSR1, on a real old and real slow 486 :P) using b19:

As was described earlier, configure will sometimes give you the "blue
screen of death" somewhere in the middle, Mikey's .bashrc code solved that
problem and allowed me to run configure until I got to a "real" problem. I
also copied bash.exe to /bin/sh as was suggested for ncurses to compile.

these were the suggested .bashrc lines for reference:

--------<snip>---------
unset CYGROOT WINBOOTDIR WINDIR WINPMT BLASTER CMDLINE
unset PROMPT QBACKUP SYMANTEC TEMP CMDLINE ISP16
unset COPYCMD DIRCMD E2CWD HLP NU PKUNZIP CONFIG
export -nf dlow tlow tup which
export -n TZ CVSROOT EDITOR LESSCHARSET PS1 PS2
export -n TMP TERMINFO LS_COLORS C32PATH HISTCONTROL HOSTTYPE
export -n IGNOREEOF SHELLOPTS SHLVL MACHTYPE HOSTNAME OSTYPE
trap '' 5
set +a #do not export variables in subshells
--------<snip>---------

Now...before the latest coolview, I used the one before (which only had
fdopen.diff) with these results:

../configure
.....
a bunch of stuff
.....
checking for size of c++ bool...
../configure: test: =: unary operator expected
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
(C:\BIN\SH.EXE 1065) wait_sig: WFM0 failed, error=6

Using the newest coolview, all was the same except the error was something
like this:
DUP ...ERROR 6!!

Sorry, should have written it down but forgot (and didn't relish the
thought of letting configure run for another half hour with no result).

Also looking through the config.log I found some another interesting tidbit
which did not show up on the screen when configure was running:

....
....
configure:3266: checking if data-only library module links
configure:3276: gcc -c -g  conftest.c 1>&5
(C:\CYGNUS\B19\H-I386-CYGWIN32\BIN\AR.EXE 1104) block_sig_dispatch:
WFSO(sig_dispatch<0x10>) failed, error = 6
configure:3295: gcc -c -g  conftest.c 1>&5
(C:\CYGNUS\B19\H-I386-CYGWIN32\BIN\AR.EXE 1114) block_sig_dispatch:
WFSO(sig_dispatch<0x10>) failed, error = 6
....
....

Hope that helps, I'll run the whole thing with STRACE if anyone wants... In
the meantime, anyone know any sites with binaries/headers of ports to
cygwin32? Like ncurses etc.

Thanks,
Raf

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".