Subject: Do we need .exe ????
From: [email-masked] (Roman Mitnitski)

2 Mar 1998 21:04:08 -0800
Message-ID: <Pine.GSO.3.96-heb-2.07.980302210144.4745A-100000.cygnus.gnu-win32@sunray>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: [email-masked]

  Hi.

 I'm pretty new to CygWin, and I'm not sure if that was
discussed before, but here it goes.

 Do we really need .exe extension on executable files for NT???
I copied tar.exe to "tar" in some other directory, and it ran
(./tar) just fine. I use tcsh port from Sergey Okhapkin and
it's having huge trouble with .exe files, it breaks scripts etc,
and you have to type "unhash" all the time... However, when
I linked (ln -s) all .exe to corresponding filenames without .exe
in some directory and put it in path before the dir with .exe files,
and tcsh started to work properly! The only problem with .exe files
is that they can't be run from Explorer GUI shell.

 In short, why can't we have (in future betas) links made to 
all .exe files, or just strip .exe extension where it is not needed.
(I guess bash / tcsh is the only program I'll ever start from GUI
if I want to do some shell work).

 One more question, though... Can I (how can I?) convert NT authentication
information to /etc/passwd and /etc/group form?
I don't care much for encrypted password, but I do want to be able
to specify startup shell etc for remote telnet logins....

 Thanks in advance.

 Roman

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".