Subject: Re: b18 -> b19 Stuff
From: [email-masked] (Lassi A. Tuura)

2 Mar 1998 13:50:07 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: "Lassi A. Tuura" <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: Tim Park <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

|> Another oddity (not completely b19 related): The ~27M cdk-src archive seems
|> to extract to ~117M.  I tried untarring this to a W95 drive with 350M free
|> using b18 tar, b19 tar, and WinZip, but ran out of space each time.
|> Rather odd.  Any ideas?

Possibly because the archive contains lots of small files, and the FAT
allocates a cluster to each of them.  Thus, if your cluster size were
eight kilobytes (could be more; it depends on disk/partition size),
files would allocate disk space in units of eight kilobytes.  For
instance, a file of 10 bytes would still consume 8 kB disk space.  A
file of 10 kB would consume 16 kB.  It is easy to see that you can very
quickly lose lots of disk space with FAT.

In my case, switching filesystems from FAT to NTFS on my NT box dropped
1.1 GB disk consumption to about 700 MB.  In other words, I had at least
400 MB space lost to under-utilized clusters.  NTFS may still use more
space than is really needed, but in any case much less than FAT does.

//lat
--
Every old idea will be proposed again with a different name and a
different presentation, regardless of whether it works. --RFC1925

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".