Subject: b18 -> b19 Stuff
From: [email-masked] (Tim Park)

2 Mar 1998 02:44:00 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

Sorry if this message isn't very descriptive in places, but I've been
working with b19 for hours, with varying degrees of success.
(On a 32M W95 OSR1 machine and a 48M W95 OSR2 machine.
 I'm using bash as my sh)

First off, thanks for the work done on releasing b19.  I was anticipating
it quite a bit, seeing how CoolView ("cygnus b18.5"? :) eliminated some of
my crashes with forking, and exit-of-Tcl code.

"Good stuff"
- I'd like to say that the rest of the forking problems are gone,
  but I can't test my application yet.  (it uses Tcl/Tk/Tix.  see below)
  Under CoolView, the child process prints something at the very end,
  then crashes at the exit call.
- Thankfully, outputting to member ostrstreams in classes works now.
  (A similar problem was previously reported to the list)
- It's out. :)

"Bad stuff"
- Make, upon seeing .EXPORT_ALL_VARIABLES:, gave two of these:

(J:\BIN\SH.EXE 1030) Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
(J:\BIN\SH.EXE 1030) Dumping stack trace to SH.EXE.core

I think someone mentioned that it seemed to work better if you didn't have
many environment variables set, but I don't think I did.  The core messages
appeared in quite a few other places during the make.  I tried using b18's
make, and it seems to not complain and do the job for now, more or less.
(Having nothing to compile is treated as an error now?)

Also, at semirandom points during configure/make, W95 hangs badly.  In b18,
the shell would hang from time to time but I could kill it with the close
program dialog.  In b19, Ctrl-Alt-Del when I get a hang gives me the blue
text "unstable/wait" screen.  (Pressing return takes me to a garbage graphics
screen)  Judging from the title bar, it's hung in hostname, pwd, date, rm,
cat...

- Also puzzling is the behaviour of the shells for Tcl/Tk/Tix.
When I try one, the console prints:

BASH.EXE: //C/CYGNUS/B19/H-I386~1/BIN/cygtclsh80: Not enough space

And I get the following requester:

  Error Starting Program
   There is not enough memory to start CYGTCLSH80.EXE.  Quit some programs,
   and then try again.

But it does this just after a reboot.  I've played with the memory settings
for the environment variables, Memory Properties tab, and W95 swap settings.
(I had 48M mem, 128M swap, and it still didn't work)

I've been able to get Tcl/Tk/Tix from the cdk-src and compile them (with
quite a few warnings, but anyway...) and run the shells.  The Tcl and Tk
shells run, but the Tix shell (and my app) gives the "Permission denied"
error that Noah recently mentioned on the list.   The library files I
get are the same size as cdk's, but the DLLs and exe's that I get are much
larger, such as the Tcl DLL which is three times the size.  (I assume I'm
supposed to compile the ones in the win directories.  It's a little
confusing with win and unix versions)

Another oddity (not completely b19 related): The ~27M cdk-src archive seems
to extract to ~117M.  I tried untarring this to a W95 drive with 350M free
using b18 tar, b19 tar, and WinZip, but ran out of space each time.
Rather odd.  Any ideas?

I just noticed that the cygnus.bat file has the following line:
SET TCL_LIBRARY=%CYGROOT%\share\tcl8.0\

CYGROOT doesn't seem to be defined.  I added the following before it:
SET CYGROOT=j:\Cygnus\B19

cygnus.bat didn't set TK_LIBRARY or TIX_LIBRARY.  I added these:
SET TK_LIBRARY=%CYGROOT%\share\tk8.0\
SET TIX_LIBRARY=%CYGROOT%\share\tix4.1\
(CDK's Tcl/Tk shells didn't work, but my compiled cygwish80 worked better)

Thanks for any information that can be provided.
--
Tim Park # [email-masked] # http://www.fiction.org/www/
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".