Subject: Does VPATH work in make?
From: [email-masked] (Terry Colligan)

28 Feb 1998 14:02:00 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: [email-masked]

  Hi,

  I'm trying to switch a *very* large DOS-based project to using
  the GNU tools.  I have gotten most things to work with Delorie's
  version, including the make files.  In order to keep the
  old directory structure, I made use of the VPATH variable to
  search multiple directories for source files.

  I tried the makefile (which works under Delorie) under Beta 18 and
  Beta 19 (today).  In both of the GNU-Win32 cases, make acts as
  though VPATH was a no-op.  The setting is clearly there when I
  dump the state with a 'make -p', but it has no effect.  No matter
  what I put into VPATH, make only finds files in the current
  directory.

  I've looked through the last two months postings, the FAQ, the
  release notes, etc. and see no mention of this.  Am I the only
  one trying to use VPATH?

------------------------------------------------------------
Terry Colligan, President         mailto:[email-masked]
Tenberry Software, Inc.              http://www.tenberry.com

Moderator of the Software-Quality email list on producing high 
quality software: mailto:[email-masked]. 

Deliver zero-defect software -- our methods work reliably
and can be used by most programmers in most organizations. 
           http://www.tenberry.com/errfree.htm

[email-masked]     phone(508)653-6006    fax(508)655-2753
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".