Subject: setting up coolview (was: make problems (b18 and mingw32))
From: [email-masked] (John A. Turner)

26 Feb 1998 18:06:25 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

I wrote:

 > Earnie Boyd wrote:
 > 
 > > Will what be fixed?  The variable problem or running mingw32-make with
 > > bash?
 > 
 > The variable exporting problem preferrably (the other would appear to
 > be more of a design issue).
 > 
 > If the answer is to use coolview, then I guess I'll wait for b19.

Well, I think I've decided not to wait for b19, even though I'm sure it's
right around the corner.

So although I've been putting it off for a long time, I think I'll go
ahead and give Sergey's coolview a try.  Which means that now I have to
really try and understand what is meant by "making mounts text=binary".

I've been on the list for a long time, so I've seen many of the posts
about this issue, but I remain confused.  I had thought there might be
more explicit instructions at Sergey's site, but I didn't see any.  So 
let me see if I can construct a step-by-step guide to using coolview,
and I'll insert questions where I'm confused.

[I'll use unixish commands]

o Downloaded coolview.tar.gz.  It contains:

  bash.exe
  cygwin.dll
  libcygwin.a
  ps.exe

  Assume we put them in c:/gnuwin32/coolview

o Rename corresponding b18 versions:

  cd /gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/bin
  mv bash.exe bash-b18.exe
  mv ps.exe ps-b18.exe
  mv cygwin.dll cygwin-b18.dll
  cd ../i386-cygwin32/lib
  mv libcygwin.a libcygwin-b18.a

o Copy new versions into correct locations:

  cd /gnuwin32/coolview
  cp bash.exe ps.exe cygwin.dll ../b18/H-i386-cygwin32/bin
  cp libcygwin.a ../b18/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/lib

o Paths, env. vars., etc. should still be set correctly from b18.
  For example:

  set CYGNUS_PATH=C:\gnuwin32\b18\H-i386-cygwin32
  set CYGWIN_NOTITLE=1
  set GCC_EXEC_PREFIX=%CYGNUS_PATH%\lib\gcc-lib\
  set SHELL=%CYGNUS_PATH%\bin\sh.exe
  set PATH=%CYGNUS_PATH%\bin;"%PATH%"

OK, now what?  Questions about text=binary:

o What exactly should be mounted text=binary?  mount currently shows:

BASH.EXE-2.01$ mount
Device           Directory           Type        Flags
\\.\tape1:       /dev/st1            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\tape0:       /dev/st0            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\b:           /dev/fd1            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\a:           /dev/fd0            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
c:               /                   native      no-mixed,text!=binary

  So all of these need to be unmounted and remounted text=binary?

o Where's my d: partition in that output from mount?

o I saved a post by Earnie Boyd from 1/8/98 in which he said:

cd /gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/bin
../umount /
../mount -b c:\\ /

../umount /bin
../mount -b c:\\gnuwin32\\b18\\H-i386-cygwin32\\bin /bin

../umount /all_the_other_directories
../mount -b d:\\all_the_other_directories /all_the_other_directories

  I do the first part of this and mount shows:

BASH.EXE-2.01$ mount
Device           Directory           Type        Flags
\\.\tape1:       /dev/st1            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\tape0:       /dev/st0            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\b:           /dev/fd1            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\a:           /dev/fd0            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
c:               /                   native      no-mixed,text=binary

  Great.  But although I have a c:\bin, when I try to do that part I
  get:

BASH.EXE-2.01$ umount /bin
umount: Invalid argument

  What's happening there?  

  And could someone spell out exactly what all_the_other_directories
  means?  Sorry to be dense, but I want to make sure I understand
  what's happening here.

o Alright, now when exactly is all this mounting and unmounting done?
  It must happen each time you boot, right?  So do you create a script
  and put it in the StartUp directory or what?

o OK, let's assume I've been able to do all those mounts correctly.
  Now I need to do \r\n -> \n conversion on some files.  What, exactly?
  .bashrc, plus any bash scripts, I guess.  I think I've also seen
  mention of C/C++ source as well.  Correct?

Thanks in advance to whoever helps me (and whoever else might be
confused).

-John

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".