Subject: RE: pthreads w/ cygwin32
From: [email-masked]

26 Feb 1998 08:57:14 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]

Hi Terry, you wrote:

: Something to watch out for is that NT's threads are kernel level threads.
: In most applications, this shouldn't make a difference, but there is the
: possibility that it could, particularly in how they are scheduled, and the
: fact that kernel threads are more expensive than user threads. If you have
: a processor intensive program, like simulation software, this could be a
: critical issue. At the moment, one of my projects is porting a user level
: threading library (similar to the Pthreads package) from UNIX to NT. One of
: the issues I'm going to look at is implementation both inside vs. on top of
: kernel threads. I have not made much progress yet, but when I do, I would
: be happy to send my results to you.

Did you look at appendix A of Jeffrey Richter's Advanced Windows NT (3.ed.)
about Fibers? They are user mode, added for easier porting from Unix to NT.

Bye, Heribert ([email-masked])
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".