Subject: Re:Help
From: [email-masked] (Bartlee A. Anderson)

26 Feb 1998 04:39:14 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: Alain CULOS <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

OK, I'll try ;)
	      ^--- winking happyface (also referred to as a smiley)
Look next to the original text below
Alain CULOS wrote:
> 
> Hi <banders>,
> 
> Thanks for trying to help me out but that message of yours looks cryptic to me, would you have some more time to try and expand it into more lay-man language for me, please.
> 
> Regards,
> Al.
> 
> banders wrote:
> 
> > If you can compile and use libs, then you may just need to upgrade.
> > gcc -c csrc.c

the above says to compile source file csrc.c into an object file
(csrc.o) by default

> > windres resource.c resource.o
windres is ok from the recent releases, earlier ones were somewhat
broken
the above line compiles a resource file (dialog box with buttons and
icon etc.) into an object file resource.o explicitly
You have to change { to BEGIN and 
                   } to END to get them to compile
and controls are not implemented, just use the basic ones.

> > gcc -o csrc csrc.o resource.o -Wl,--subsystem,windows

here is where gcc is asked to make an executable csrc.exe
the .exe is implied and took some extra effort from the early developers
to get it there automagically. It links the following object files
previously created and some other hidden stuff and creates it as a
windows application (change windows to console for non gui or just
leave off everything after the last .o file.

> >
> > should be about all you need.
> > If you're using generic b18 you should think about getting coolview.
> > I use egcs and have cygnus binutils as a backup for stuff I don't have
> > natively yet.

If you need more help, try searching the cygnus project page. Look for
postings from Earnie Boyd, he has links to all the hot spots for info
in most of his postings. Let me know if you have any specific problems
or better post to the list.

-- 
Bartlee A. Anderson     System Test (Interfaces-Tools-Automation-ISDN)
Rockwell International                    Electronic Commerce Division
300 Bauman Ct.                                [email-masked]
MS 933-605      Opinions my own, not Rockwell's   VOICE (630) 227-8975
Wood Dale, IL 60191                               FAX   (630) 227-9771
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".