Subject: bash and ~
From: [email-masked] (Daniel Karipides)

24 Feb 1998 02:43:13 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

I tried to check the archives for this, but couldn't find any mention
of the following problem.

I have defined the enivornment variable $HOME to:

D:\Users\smith

I need it defined this way so that emacs (among other programs) works
correctly when not started from bash.  However, in bash I noticed the
following:

bash$ echo $HOME
D:\Users\smith        <--seems to work

bash$ cd ~
bash.exe: D:Userssmith: No such file or directory

It seems that the \'s have been removed, which I guess makes sense
under bash.  Changing HOME to D:\\Users\\smith works for ~, but
unfortunately doesn't work for emacs outside of bash, etc...

I apologize if this is a problem with a well known solution, but I
couldn't find it mentioned on any of bash/cygwin set up web pages.

Thanks in advance,

-Dan Karipides
-----
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".