Subject: Re: Mingw32 Futures
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

23 Feb 1998 06:57:05 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

>From: Geoffrey Noer <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: Mingw32 Futures
>To: [email-masked] (Colin Peters)
>Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 15:48:11 -0800 (PST)
>Cc: [email-masked]
>
>Colin Peters wrote:
>[...]
>> That is typical of the "problems" I am having right now. Basically, 
there
>> are at least three versions of the gcc compiler distribution which 
either
>> have or plan to have Mingw32 integrated into them. Jan jaap's Mingw32 
gcc
>> 2.8.0, Mumit Khan's releases of EGCS for Mingw32, Cygwin32 gcc 
(perhaps
>> starting with b20) and maybe the FSF version of gcc.
>
>IMHO, here's what I currently think would be best:
>
>1) Scrap the mingw configuration of gcc. Ditto for the Cygwin32
>configuration.  The new configuration would just be called
>"i[x]86-pc-win32".
>
>2) This configuration will default to behaving as close to a native
>Win32 compiler as possible.  This means it would use Microsoft's C
>libraries like Mingw does by default.
>
>3) A command-line option would enable the Cygwin32 layer.
>

I like this idea.  This sounds great.

>I don't know what the FSF's plans are in this area but I would like to
>see something like this happen in both egcs and gcc 2.8.
>
>Beta 19 is the last release to include gcc 2.8.  Future releases will
>include the egcs compiler.  Hopefully in a configuration similar to
>the above.
>
>> 1. Mingw32 is basically a C run time library replacement. As I 
understand it
>> gcc is usually bundled with the GNU C library (libc and libm) among 
other
>> libraries. Cygwin32's newlib is similar (with a more ambitious goal). 
Has
>> anyone seriously thought about how this should fit together?
>
>An interesting idea would be for Cygwin32 to be a layer on top of
>Microsoft's C libraries instead of on top of newlib.  I haven't looked
>into this yet.

I believe this would be doable.  I've ported a lot of GNU utilities with 
the mingw32.  They seem to work fine.  I will eventually upload to 
deninc.com, the things I, with help from Hilton Fernandes, have been 
working on.  There are two major surprises, at least to me; 1) \r\n or 
\n is read \r\n is written by defaults.  2) path delimination happens 
with either the \ or the /.

>
>> 4. Related to the above. I don't think b19 is going to include any 
Mingw32
>> stuff (beyond perhaps the ability to be rebuilt under Mingw32). 
Should I try
>> to write up instructions for adding Mingw32 onto a Cygwin install for 
the
>> convenience of those who want both?
>
>The winsup directory in the sources will include a version of mingw we
>imported last fall.  A simple makefile modification would make it
>buildable and installable.  But the changes to gcc aren't in place so
>it's not being built and included in b19 other than being in the 
sources.
>
>It would be nice to have a drop-in package for b19 that converts it
>to a mingw gcc.  We are actively working on integrating mingw into
>egcs.
>
>Let me know if you have additional questions...
>
>Geoffrey Noer
>[email-masked]
>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message 
to
>"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
>

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".