Subject: Re: Proper location of the cygwin.dll WAS: Re: b19 and cygwin.dll
From: [email-masked] (Magosanyi Arpad)

21 Feb 1998 07:06:28 -0800
Message-ID: <19980220091731.37201.cygnus.gnu-win32@bunuel>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: Craig Dickson <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

On Thu, Feb 19, 1998 at 06:40:03PM +0100, Craig Dickson wrote:
> >It is also not customary to look for shared libraries
> >in the PATH.
> 
> It is on Microsoft OSs, which are, after all cygwin's host platform. So one
> question here is where to strike the proper balance between conforming to
> the host system's conventions and emulating Unix. I don't see any reason to
> devise a custom way of locating cygwin.dll when the OS will do it for free
> if it is on the PATH (which the cygwin executables need to be on anyway).
I think that the proper balance is to set up things in a posixish way.
> 
> >I meant the need of conforming to FSSTND rather seriously. I think you
> >overlooked that part, which is a pity because this is the point we should
> >argue about. The location of shared libraries is a logical consequence of
> >the outcome of that issue. I propose to talk this over first.
> 
> Excuse me, but I'm not all that familiar with POSIX; my Unix experience is
> mostly as a user, and as a writer of fairly simple C programs and perl/sh
> scripts, not as a sysadmin or serious developer. What is FSSTND, and how do
> you see it as being relevant to cygwin?
FSSTND is the Linux filesystem layout standard. It defines which directory
should contain which classes of files. If we are dealing with packages
having complex dependencies on each other (which is happens just with any
package which is a bit bigish), it is very important to know which file is
where. It makes life (and especially porting) a lot easier.
As a user you might noticed the main difference between win* and operating
systems: the applications can and do depend on tools which handle
subproblems, and often considered part of the operating system. This
philosophical difference is which makes a WYSIWYG editor in 164 lines
a competely feasible thing in unix, and a nonsense in win*. The price of this
flexibility is the need of knowing the exact location of every component we
want to use.

-- 
GNU GPL: csak tiszta forrásból
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".