Subject: Re: Poor man's manpage reader for cygwin/ming
From: [email-masked] (Mikey)

20 Feb 1998 21:53:14 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]

Vischne

I've been using ncurses/groff/less/man the real ones,
compiled by me, same binaries, since the B17 release,
just because you can't do something don't
ASS->U->ME, that somone else smarter or more experienced
than you are can't. instead ask them nicely, and they
MAY decide to show you how, in which case you MIGHT
learn something, or maybe not.

And I would think by now you would have learned not to call
people liars.

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998 16:50:07 GMT, you wrote:

>>   Fabrizio Lodi ([email-masked])
>>   Thu, 19 Feb 1998 10:04:34 +0100
>>[email-masked] wrote:
>>>
>>> The following manpage reader script seems to work pretty well under
>>> cygwin, and is made of handy parts that are easily available and
>>> portable to cygwin.
>>>
>>> In this case, less-332 was compiled using mingwin32, since there was
>>> alternate code in the less-332 source distribution that lets you take
>>> advantage of mingwin's rtldll.dll library instead of the cygwin terminal.
>>> Compiling less-332 using cygwin results in a version of less.exe that
>>> issues diagnostic messages indicating _where_ the cygwin terminal is broken.
>>> Also, zmore.exe seems to work well using `ln -s less.exe more.exe' as its
>>> version of more.exe.
>>> ========================================================================
>>>
>>> #!/bin/sh
>>> zmore $1 | nroff -man - | col | less
>>
>>To view man pages I've compiled without any problems thr groff package
>>from GNU (configured, compiled and installed through the provided
>>scripts and makefiles) and the standard distribution of man.
>>
>>As a pager I use less, that I've compiled whith any problem (of course,
>>after the compilation and installation of ncurses).
>>
>>Sure, it took near a day of work to be sure that all is working, but it
>>is worth the time spent.
>>--
>Fabrizio, I've been on other conferences in which people deliberately set
>out to lie about what is possible, and I think this is the case with you.
>I've implemented ncurses on cygwin, and it just doesn't work because of
>the cygwin terminal.  The only package that begins to work is the slang
>package with the Win32 extensions.  And, using less with ncurses should
>give you diagnostic messages about the cygwin terminal, and not the smooth,
>professional operation that defining `WINC32' and using MINGW32 to compile
>gives.  As for groff, you are an outright liar.  All the recent releases
>of groff crash the tar program under cygwin.  They cause `disk not ready'
>messages on the drive that tar was run under cygwin.  To get groff untarred,
>you have to reboot to Linux and use the Linux tar program.  And, groff uses
>a whole host of functions not available under cygwin.
>
>So, I repeat, Fabrizio, you are a liar.  Get off this conference.
>
>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
>"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".

=====================================================
Linux a platform built by, and for users, standing on
the firm legs of reliability, and speed.

Microsoft Windows, a platform without a leg to stand on.

([email-masked])
delete REMOVETHIS from the above to reply
         Mikey
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".