Subject: Re: Poor man's manpage reader for cygwin/ming
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

20 Feb 1998 20:48:20 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

>From: [email-masked]
>Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 16:50:07 GMT
>Subject: Re: Poor man's manpage reader for cygwin/ming
>To: [email-masked]
>
>>   Fabrizio Lodi ([email-masked])
>>   Thu, 19 Feb 1998 10:04:34 +0100
>>[email-masked] wrote:
>>>
>>> The following manpage reader script seems to work pretty well under
>>> cygwin, and is made of handy parts that are easily available and
>>> portable to cygwin.
>>>
>>> In this case, less-332 was compiled using mingwin32, since there was
>>> alternate code in the less-332 source distribution that lets you 
take
>>> advantage of mingwin's rtldll.dll library instead of the cygwin 
terminal.
>>> Compiling less-332 using cygwin results in a version of less.exe 
that
>>> issues diagnostic messages indicating _where_ the cygwin terminal is 
broken.
>>> Also, zmore.exe seems to work well using `ln -s less.exe more.exe' 
as its
>>> version of more.exe.
>>> 
========================================================================
>>>
>>> #!/bin/sh
>>> zmore $1 | nroff -man - | col | less
>>
>>To view man pages I've compiled without any problems thr groff package
>>from GNU (configured, compiled and installed through the provided
>>scripts and makefiles) and the standard distribution of man.
>>
>>As a pager I use less, that I've compiled whith any problem (of 
course,
>>after the compilation and installation of ncurses).
>>
>>Sure, it took near a day of work to be sure that all is working, but 
it
>>is worth the time spent.
>>--
>Fabrizio, I've been on other conferences in which people deliberately 
set
>out to lie about what is possible, and I think this is the case with 
you.
>I've implemented ncurses on cygwin, and it just doesn't work because of
>the cygwin terminal.  The only package that begins to work is the slang
>package with the Win32 extensions.  And, using less with ncurses should
>give you diagnostic messages about the cygwin terminal, and not the 
smooth,
>professional operation that defining `WINC32' and using MINGW32 to 
compile
>gives.  As for groff, you are an outright liar.  All the recent 
releases
>of groff crash the tar program under cygwin.  They cause `disk not 
ready'
>messages on the drive that tar was run under cygwin.  To get groff 
untarred,
>you have to reboot to Linux and use the Linux tar program.  And, groff 
uses
>a whole host of functions not available under cygwin.
>
>So, I repeat, Fabrizio, you are a liar.  Get off this conference.
>
>-

Man, are you ever a flame thrower!!  I certainly got the groff archive 
untarred both on NT and 95 with the cygnus tar program and was able to 
configure and build it on both without much ado.  So, what'd you do 
wrong.

The one throwing the flames should be the one to "get off this 
conference".  This kind of outburst is ridiculous.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                     (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html           (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
ftp://ftp.deninc.com/pub (Den Internet Services - US mirror and ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/     (more - software portals)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/rpm   (Redhat Package Manager)

SEARCH ENGINES WITH gnu-win32 mail archive RELATED INDICIES:
http://www.findmail.com
http://www.search.com

add gnu-win32 or gnuwin32 to the search criteria.

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".