Subject: A bit different path conversion problem (and solution)
From: [email-masked] (Skip Montanaro)

20 Feb 1998 20:38:42 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

I just joined the list because I was having trouble with Unix
v. Windows paths.  I dug through the archives a bit and a few threads
over the past several months.  (Seems to be a frequently recurring
topic...)  None seemed to quite match the problem I had.  It turned
out to have a relatively easy fix. I figured others might find it
useful.

We are using gnu-win32 to port some Unix code to Windows.  We already
relied on GNU make, gcc and g++, so the logical choice was to use
gnu-win32 as a build environment.  The problem is that not all of the
GNU tools treat paths consistently.  GNU cpp wants DOS-ish filenames
(e.g., h:/some/path), while GNU make wants Unix-ish filenames (.e.g.,
//h/some/path).  This posed a problem because we use gcc/g++ -MM to
build dependencies.  We'd give it DOS-ish paths and it would
obligingly spit out DOS-ish paths, causing GNU make to barf.

One person I saw fixed the problem by modifying GNU make to accept
DOS-ish filenames.  I didn't want to fiddle with compiling any more
tools than absolutely necessary, however. The solution was to
post-process the gcc -MM output:

    export PLATFORM = $(shell uname)
    export PCPLATFORM = CYGWIN32/NT
    ...
    ifeq ($(PLATFORM),$(PCPLATFORM))
    DOSIFY = -e "s@\([a-z]\):/@//\1/@g"
    endif

    %.d: %.c
	    $(SHELL) -ec 'gcc -MM $(CPPFLAGS) $< | sed -e "s/$*.o/& $@/g" $(DOSIFY) > $@'

Just another itty-bitty tool for your toolbox...

Have a nice weekend,

-- 
Skip Montanaro
([email-masked])
518-372-5583
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".