Subject: RE: Missing header file??
From: [email-masked] (Colin Peters)

20 Feb 1998 09:13:06 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "Pete" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "GNU-Win32" <[email-masked]>

Pete <[email-masked]> wrote:

>    For a college assignment I was asked to print out commonly used
>header files ( stdio.h, ctype.h and conio.h). After printing out ctype
>and stdio a search did not locate conio.h.  Has that header file been
>removed or renamed?  I need to know.

It would be interesting to talk to your collage professor about standards.
ctype.h and stdio.h are part of the ANSI standard set of header files, and
are present on almost any compiler for just about any OS nowadays. conio.h
is not a standard header file and is not, for example, present on the Sun
workstation I just logged into, or (I think) in Cygwin32. In fact, it is
probably only present in the Microsoft compiler and compilers which (by
necessity) must imitate the MS compiler. It also contains, for the most
part, functions which you should avoid using if you can help it (since they
are non-standard).

So, the file was not removed, it was never there in the first place. If you
really want to you could use the versions of those three files from Mingw32,
though your professor may be somewhat surprised by what he or she sees (but
he or she is obviously going to be surprised anyway, since you're not using
a MS compiler). I do suggest you take up the issue of this assignment, and
just what assumptions the professor is making, with the professer directly
(preferably before you have to submit any assignments).

Good luck,
Colin.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".