Subject: Re: compiling gcc
From: [email-masked] (Tim Baker)

20 Feb 1998 03:58:57 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Kevin wrote:
----------
Hello.  I'm new to this list, so I appologize if this has already been
covered.  I'm trying to compile gcc-2.8.0 under NT, and I'm not having
much
luck.  My ultimate goal is to build a m68k cross-compiler that runs
under
NT, but for now I'd be happy just to get the native version working.
I've
tried several different ways:  including running the configure.bat file
supplied with the gcc-2.8.0 distribution;  installing with MKS's ksh;
and
of course, using the cygwin32 tools.  The problem I have with the latter
is
while running the configure script, it says gcc doesn't work:

....
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot
create executables.
bash$

Why is this?  Has anyone successfully built a gcc cross-compiler for
m68k
on NT?  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

-Kevin
----------

A month or so ago I was attempting to run configure for some program,
I think it was "patch", and had the same error. After losing my sanity,
I
remember looking in the "config.log" file, and saw the specific error
for
the failure. I can't remember what the problem was, but that was how
I solved it. Around that time I was getting my "mount" stuff in order as

well. What a nightmare!

-- Tim Baker

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".