Subject: RE: Help!
From: [email-masked] (Zow Terry Brugger)

20 Feb 1998 00:42:00 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "'Amy Wells'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]"
	 <[email-masked]>

-----Original Message-----
From:	Amy Wells

I have a Compaq Presario with Windows 95 and I got the Teach Yourself
C++ in 24 hOurs.  The thing is that I can't get it to start.  somewhere
it said I needed to open alltar but I couldn't find it on my CD Rom.  I
am new to this and would like some HELP please!

Well, first of all, those "Teach yourself C/C++ in x time-units" don't 
work. I was an infamous hacker amongst the freshmen my first year at Purdue 
when I tried to learn C from one of those books. The levels of indirections 
when you start to get into deep pointer stuff are just too complicated to 
be explained without human interaction. I ended up taking freshmen 
programming my Sophomore year, and I ended up changing majors and now I 
crunch C/C++ code for a living. So my first recommendation is to find a 
knowledgeable friend or take a class at your local vo-tec.
	You're still going to need a compiler though. What exactly is it that you 
can't get to start? What is this CD-ROM and alltar that you refer to? Where 
does GNU-Win32 fit into your problems? If you want to use gcc from 
GNU-Win32 (which I would recommend: it's every bit as good as a commercial 
compiler and in fact, MS apparently used it as the basis for VC++ 1.0), 
download cdk.exe from www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32 . While it's 
downloading (it's 14MB, so it'll take a while), read the FAQ. You won't 
understand a lot of it, but it should answer a lot of your questions. That 
should get you rolling.
	I'm sure other people have other recomendations on what you could use 
(like the minimalist GNU-Win32), but I'm just recomending what I know. If 
after reading the FAQ you still have questions, we'd be happy to answer 
them. There are probably better venues for C++ questions: Yahoo! has a ton 
of C++ resources (including links to the C++ FAQs), I'm sure you can find 
something there.

Amy

Hope this helps!
Terry

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".