Subject: b19 and cygwin.dll
From: [email-masked] (Andrew Lipnitsky)

19 Feb 1998 16:33:58 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=koi8-r
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Greeting.

I didn't expect that my letter will entail such large discussion.
And as for me I have preferred more answers were on other my article
"Story about compiling MidNight Commander 4.1.9 ". ;-)

-------------
I wrote:
>>I think that  to place cygwin.dll in somewhere like
c:\windows\system32
>>would be quite good idea.

Earnie Boyd wrote:
>You know, I've always hated that idea.  For a tool specific resource to

>go into the operating system shared resources isn't a very good idea at

>all.

Ok. Maybe 'c:\windows\system32' is not good place for cygnus.dll
because  this place is for operating system shared resources.
But what about something like c:\shared\dll.
see also articles:
         DLL location      From:    Brendan Simon<[email-masked]>
,

         Re: Proper location of the cygwin.dll WAS: Re: b19 and
cygwin.dll
                From:             Magosanyi Arpad
<[email-masked]>

--------

Jordan Henderson <[email-masked]> wrote:

>I agree, its not a good idea. If you look at the history on this, you
>will note, that, this common soup approach is ONLY used in Bill Gates
>products. In the rest of the world, like Unix, VMS, etc, this never
>was done, specifically because of the problems with multiple releases
>being installed, etc. It is a really bad idea.

< snipped >

>A second point, it why does windows need an 'uninstall' function?
>Well basically, its because during install, applications scatter
>there bits in several places, unknown to the person who is installing.
>How do we clean up after that? Well, now we need a special utility.

"$Bill Luebkert" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I don't know about the rest of the world, but I appreciate software
>that can be installed into it's own directory tree and not use any
>disk space under c:\windows and if possible not use any registry
entries.
>This makes the all important uninstall a simple 'deltree'/'rm -rf'
>command.  If everyone did it that way, my registry wouldn't be over
>3MB and I wouldn't have hundreds of garbage files in the C:\windows
>tree.

What about files foo.conf in /etc , .foo.conf in $HOME/  which
present In the rest of the world, like Unix, VMS, etc.
What about files in '/usr/bin' ,  '/usr/lib' , /usr/include and so on.

----------------
Jordan Henderson <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Lets mention access time. How long does it take to search a directory
>with 1000 files in it?

Ok. First of all Windows will carry out search in
c:\windows\system32  (among 1000 files), and
Then in $PATH with 20 directories in it.

-------------------------

Thank you for attention.

Andrew Lipnitsky.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".