Subject: Environment configuration details
From: [email-masked] (Zow Terry Brugger)

19 Feb 1998 16:31:45 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "GNU-WIN32 Mailing List (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>

Here are a couple of things that should probably be put in the FAQ. . .
I'm using B18 w/ Coolview (which may affect things in such a way that they 
shouldn't be put in the FAQ):
It has been recommended as the solution to many problems that TERM=linux . 
I tried that and suddenly, non GNU-Win32 console apps (like MicroEmacs and 
a standalone version of less), stopped working. I debugged MicroEmacs and 
found that its term variable was getting set to 0 columns. Now if 
TERM=linux at the NT command prompt, it doesn't care, so apparently bash is 
doing this. less just flies though the text like it was cat , which could 
be explained by it getting 0 for the number of columns as well. Hence my 
question: Why is it recommended that TERM be set to "linux"?
Many posters when describing their problem say that text=binary, like it's 
a common mistake or setting it =! binary causes a lot of problems. I have 
mine set =! binary and it seems to be just fine. Normally I wouldn't look a 
gift horse in the mouth,  but I want to understand how it works, so again, 
why is this recommended?

Thanks all!
Terry

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".