Subject: Re: Please Help...
From: [email-masked] (ShmooVe)

19 Feb 1998 09:37:45 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: Colin Peters <[email-masked]>, gnu-win32 <[email-masked]>

Hey Colin... Thanx for your reply, and yes your correct about IDE.  That's what
I'm looking for.  My teacher corrected me on that question earlier in the day...
hehe  anyway he told me I could possibly setup rhide to use this new gnu
compiler.  I told him the thought of command prompt compiling scares me but...
only the strong will survive.  So i'm ready to check it out.  I just don't want
to waste all that time on debugging and learning windows format without a little
help from a "message window" or of that nature.
                    Could someone send me a little test code ... say a hello
world proggie
    that brings up a little window and a button??  (I hope I'm getting the right
impression on this gnuwin32) so I can get the feel of window mantiuplation.  Is
it anything like JavaScript?  Thanx again guys
jimmy

Colin Peters wrote:

> ShmooVe <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >doc's again. tehehe...  Anyway Another question for everyone.  Is there a
> >shell
> >program for gnuwin32?  You see, I'm a college student learning C++ using
> >TC++
> >and/or DJGPP.
> >(TC at school, and DJ at home :)  and I'm really new to UniX and LinuX
> >commands.  I am a quick learner though.  I seemed to have went thought all
> >the
> >executible's and there seems to be no shell like RHIDE.  I thought gdb was
> >the
> >shell, seeing how it's 850k, but it seemed to be some other type of shell I
> >don't understand.  I'm doing the best out of everyone in my C++ class so
> >I'm not
> >code illeratate (but i can't spell) by far.  It's just I don't know how to,
> >let's say, write code in wordpad and then compile it with gcc without help
> >files
> [snip]
>
> "Shell" is probably the wrong word to use. Bash, sh, csh and so on are
> shells (they take commands or command scripts and execute them). What you're
> talking about is an IDE. Some people use emacs as an IDE for gcc, but I just
> use the tools straight from the command line (with the help of make or jam).
> Check out my gcc for win32 tutorial (blatent plug) at
>
>  http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Towers/6162/gcc-tutor-contents.html
>
> There's also a pointer in there to the on line documentation for gcc as well
> at the documentation for gcc in windows Help format.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Colin.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".