Subject: FYI: IRC server software ported
From: [email-masked] (Christophe Kalt)

18 Feb 1998 20:51:36 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary=CH5JqcHopEYAB45H
To: [email-masked]

--CH5JqcHopEYAB45H
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Hi,
 
I thought I just drop a note to mention that the version
2.9.5 of the IRC server has been ported to Cygwin32
environment. (b18+coolview)
 
Little work was really needed (provide a truncate()
function, avoid fork() which doesn't seem to work right, and
couple minor details).
 
There seemed to be some problem with connect(), but I didn't
find the time to investigate.  As a test I (successfully)
linked a NT server to the IRCNet (25k users at the time).
 
Christophe

--CH5JqcHopEYAB45H
Content-Type: message/rfc822
Content-Description: Forwarded message from Christophe Kalt <[email-masked]>

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 17:13:23 -0500
From: Christophe Kalt <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Announcing irc2.9.5
Sender: [email-masked]
Status: RO
Content-Length: 1117
Lines: 27

Release 2.9.5 of the IRC software consolidates the work done
with the 2.9 serie, bringing fewer changes than previous
releases but preparing for larger changes.

One of these will be to suppress the usage of the 2.9 JOIN
format (:nickname JOIN #channel^Gov).  Future versions will
not generate such joins anymore.  In order to make the
transition smooth, it is imperative that all servers on the
IRC network be upgraded to 2.9.5 when the JOIN syntax is
abandonned.  Not doing so will result in a considerable
increase of the amount of bandwidth used during netjoins.

Couple new features appear in this release:

	* D lines were added for better autoconnect configuration.
        * I, K and B lines now understand a.b.c.d/z IP notation.

The complete and detailed list of changes is held in doc/ChangeLog.

Discussion about this software is welcome in [email-masked]
mailing list. If you are interested, subscribe by sending
"subscribe ircd-users" in the body of a mail to [email-masked].

Locations:

	ftp://coombs.anu.edu.au/pub/irc/irc2.9.5.tgz
	ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/unix/irc/server/irc2.9.5.tgz

--CH5JqcHopEYAB45H--
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".