Subject: Re: Proper location of the cygwin.dll WAS: Re: b19 and cygwin.dll
From: [email-masked] (Magosanyi Arpad)

18 Feb 1998 18:33:42 -0800
Message-ID: <19980218160728.57693.cygnus.gnu-win32@bunuel>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: Earnie Boyd <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

On Wed, Feb 18, 1998 at 03:04:17PM +0100, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >/lib or /usr/lib ?
> 
> The dll is a portion of the executable.  If the executable can't find 
> the dll then it won't run.
Well, a shared library is a shared library. Its distinguishing features from
an executable binary are the following:
- You cannot execute it
- More executable binaries, possibly in different locations use it. Hence
the name "shared".
> 
> /lib or /usr/lib needs only to contain the libraries that the linker 
> needs to find.
> 
> Is it customary to add the /lib and /usr/lib paths to the PATH 
> environment variable?  I don't think so.
It is just the lack of a library loader, and the braindeadness of the
surrounding environment. I _do_ think that putting /lib and/or /usr/lib in
the PATH is a good temporary solution until something is done with it. Well,
it is not a customary thing to do, but we should deal with a less than
customary environment. It is also not customary to look for shared libraries
in the PATH. Remember, it is not DOS, you can use rather long environment
variables, if you want.

> >You want to build a posix system. Conforming to the FSSTND would be more
> >than a Good Idea, even when the host operating system is confused about
> >the separation of binaries and shared libs.
I meant the need of conforming to FSSTND rather seriously. I think you
overlooked that part, which is a pity because this is the point we should
argue about. The location of shared libraries is a logical consequence of
the outcome of that issue. I propose to talk this over first.

And this whole thing is rather theoretical until the win32 project isn't
moved into the direction of the bazaar modell, because we can work out
rather good ideas, submit cool patches if they will not incorporated into the
mainstream until everyone forgets the whole thing.

-- 
GNU GPL: csak tiszta forrásból
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".