Subject: Network Time Protocol & CygWin32
From: [email-masked] (Sven Dietrich)

17 Feb 1998 17:33:06 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Hello World!

I have taken it upon myself to get NTP compiling under CYGWin32 for NT
Currently, NTP support for Winnt is broken, uses MS VC and stuck at
NTPv3.5.
MS VC is not shareware, and NTP is really happier compiling under GCC.

Dave Mills and his cohorts at Univerity of Delaware have endorsed this
effort!

NTP includes a sh configure script, which RUNS CORRECTLY under the
CDK tools. This is excellent!

I have the code for NTP 4.0.71a compiling, with a few new defines, and
using:
#include <cygwin32/if.h>
#include <cygwin32/socket.h>
#include <netinet/in.h>
#include <windows.h>
#include <arpa/inet.h>
#include <windows32/base.h>
plus a few others.

The linker fails as follows:
ntp_io.o: In function `init_io':
//D/ntp4/ntpd/ntp_io.c:244: undefined reference to `WSAStartup'
ntp_io.o: In function `create_sockets':
//D/ntp4/ntpd/ntp_io.c:624: undefined reference to `closesocket'
ntp_io.o: In function `open_socket':
//D/ntp4/ntpd/ntp_io.c:934: undefined reference to `closesocket'
ntp_io.o: In function `close_socket':
//D/ntp4/ntpd/ntp_io.c:1065: undefined reference to `closesocket'
ntp_io.o: In function `sendpkt':
//D/ntp4/ntpd/ntp_io.c:1303: undefined reference to `WSAGetLastError'
ntp_io.o: In function `input_handler':
//D/ntp4/ntpd/ntp_io.c:1700: undefined reference to `WSAGetLastError'
ntp_io.o: In function `get_winnt_interfaces':
//D/ntp4/ntpd/ntp_io.c:2466: undefined reference to `strupr'
ntp_timer.o: In function `init_timer':
//D/ntp4/ntpd/ntp_timer.c:153: undefined reference to `_tzset'
//D/ntp4/ntpd/ntp_timer.c:182: undefined reference to `timeGetDevCaps'
//D/ntp4/ntpd/ntp_timer.c:188: undefined reference to `timeBeginPeriod'
//D/ntp4/ntpd/ntp_timer.c:200: undefined reference to `timeSetEvent'
ntp_intres.o: In function `openntp':
//D/ntp4/ntpd/ntp_intres.c:466: undefined reference to `ioctlsocket'
ntpd.o: In function `service_main':
//D/ntp4/ntpd/ntpd.c:616: undefined reference to `_beginthread'
ntpd.o: In function `worker_thread':
//D/ntp4/ntpd/ntpd.c:766: undefined reference to `WSAGetLastError'
.../libntp/libntp.a(machines.o): In function `gettimeofday':
//D/ntp4/libntp/machines.c:191: undefined reference to
`GetSystemTimeAsFileTime'
.../libntp/libntp.a(machines.o): In function `getpass':
//D/ntp4/libntp/machines.c:241: undefined reference to `_getch'
gcc: Internal compiler error: program ld got fatal signal 1

Most of these are library calls, and I have not yet succeeded in sorting

out which libraries contain what, or if its even implemented.

If anyone has any clues, please let me know. Meanwhile I'll be reading
and grepping...

Thanks for any help/feedback.

Sven

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".