Subject: RE: b19 and cygwin.dll
From: [email-masked] (Zow Terry Brugger)

16 Feb 1998 21:50:10 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "'Andrew Lipnitsky'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]"
	 <[email-masked]>

-----Original Message-----
From:	Andrew Lipnitsky
Sent:	Monday, February 16, 1998 6:00 AM
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	b19 and cygwin.dll

..... continuation of the b19 discussion.....

Hi All!
I have Source Navigator lite and gnuwin32 b18
installed on my computer. So cygwin.dll is placed
in 3 points.

Someone please explain again why the dll is getting installed in multiple 
places? I only have one in H-i386-cygwin/bin and everything seems to run 
just fine. In fact, there should not be more than one copy of a dll on a 
system, or the one that will be used is undefined (this caused some major 
problems during our last project: we ended up putting a version check in 
our dll so that an older one would not be used).

I think that  to place cygwin.dll in somewhere like c:\windows\system32
would be quite good idea.
At first, it would result the reduction of disk space.
At second, it would result the reduction of length PATH variable .
And at last, it is general(common) practice to place shared resources in
c:\windows\system32 .

Point well taken, however, while I agree that all three points have 
validity, only having one copy in the gnuwin32 bin directory serves the 
first two just as well. The last one I disagree with, simply because it 
adds yet another file to the mess of 1159 I already have in there. I think 
that if a program can keep all of it's dll's outside of system32, it 
should.

Andrew Lipnitsky

My $.02,
Terry

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".