Subject: Re: b19 and cygwin.dll
From: [email-masked] (Craig Dickson)

16 Feb 1998 21:14:01 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0038_01BD3AED.906A7D00"
To: <[email-masked]>

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0038_01BD3AED.906A7D00
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Bill Luebkert wrote:

>I don't know about the rest of the world, but I appreciate software
>that can be installed into it's own directory tree and not use any
>disk space under c:\windows and if possible not use any registry entries.
>
>This makes the all important uninstall a simple 'deltree'/'rm -rf'
>command.  If everyone did it that way, my registry wouldn't be over
>3MB and I wouldn't have hundreds of garbage files in the C:\windows
>tree.

I appreciate software that comes with civilized uninstallers, which makes
the all-important uninstall a simple couple of mouse clicks, including
registry cleanup, removal of shared files that are no longer being used by
other applications, removal of Start menu entries, etc. In the Windows
environment, 'deltree' is a pretty simplistic way to remove software. The
registry is there to be used by software, and should be used, though only
for fairly small amounts of data per application. But there should be
uninstallers, and they should remove registry keys created by the program
being uninstalled.

Given that the various GNUWIN32 programs need to be on the path somewhere in
order to be reachable by the shell, it makes perfect sense to me to put
cygwin32.dll in the same directory as the core GNUWIN32 tools. I don't see
any benefit to putting it in the system directory. So I agree with you on
that point, though for another reason.

Craig

------=_NextPart_000_0038_01BD3AED.906A7D00
Content-Type: text/x-vcard;
	name="Craig Dickson.vcf"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="Craig Dickson.vcf"

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Dickson;Craig
FN:Craig Dickson
ORG:Inverse Network Technology;Engineering
TITLE:Sr. Member of Technical Staff
TEL;WORK;VOICE:(408) 616-6225
TEL;WORK;FAX:(408) 481-9266
ADR;WORK:;983;1215 Apollo Way;Sunnyvale;CA;94086;USA
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=3DQUOTED-PRINTABLE:983=3D0D=3D0A1215 Apollo =
Way=3D0D=3D0ASunnyvale, CA 94086=3D0D=3D0AUSA
URL:
URL:http://www.inversenet.com
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:[email-masked]
EMAIL;INTERNET:[email-masked]
REV:19980216T231423Z
END:VCARD

------=_NextPart_000_0038_01BD3AED.906A7D00--

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".