Subject: Re: SOLVED!!! making relocatable dll's under B18 aka Marking dll's as dll's
From: [email-masked] (Ian Lance Taylor)

16 Feb 1998 10:05:10 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

   From: [email-masked] (Mikey)
   Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 20:32:24 GMT

   Is there some reason why cygwin32 dll's aren't marked as dll's?

From the patch, it seems that you are referring to the
DllCharacteristics field in the image format file header.  That field
is labelled ``obsolete'' in the Microsoft PE documentation.

Note that in my testing DLLs are correctly marked with IMAGE_FILE_DLL
in the Characteristics field.

   to make relocatable dll's that link with B18's cygwin.dll/libcygwin.a,
   or the coolview cygwin.dll/libcygwin.a
   you MUST give an image base other than 0x10000000, 
   even with a --base-file= option.
   --image-base 0x10080000+ should be safe.

I don't find this to be the case on NT 4.0.  I am able to link with
multiple DLLs at image base 0x10000000, and cygwin.dll is correctly
relocated.

What version of Windows are you running?

Ian
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".