Subject: compiling X programs
From: [email-masked] (Kris Thielemans)

13 Feb 1998 23:29:55 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: <[email-masked]>

Hi,

I try to compile a (very simple) X program on my NT machine. I've got the
cygnus distribution, ecgs-1.00, coolview, and the X11R6.3 (from Orlando da
Silva). The binary X programs run fine, but my own program doesn't. I get 2
possible behaviours:
- When linking with the dynamic link libraries from X11, a dialog box coming
up, saying that it can't find the ll dynamic link library in my path (and
indeed, I don't have any ll.dll anywhere)
- When linking with the static libraries (/usr/X11R6.2/lib/static) an
exception crash with the following dump:
(d:\kris\PPhead\test\display.exe 1539) In cygwin_except_handler exc C0000005
at
411C0E sp 24EED80
(d:\kris\PPhead\test\display.exe 1539) Exception trapped!
(d:\kris\PPhead\test\display.exe 1539) exception C0000005 at 411C0E
(d:\kris\PPhead\test\display.exe 1539) exception: ax 0 bx 0 cx FFFFFFFF dx
45E0E
1
(d:\kris\PPhead\test\display.exe 1539) exception: si 466208 di 1 bp 24EED9C
sp 2
4EED80
(d:\kris\PPhead\test\display.exe 1539) exception is: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
(d:\kris\PPhead\test\display.exe 1539) Stack trace:
(d:\kris\PPhead\test\display.exe 1539) frame 0: sp = 0x24EEBB4, pc =
0x10007BB2
(d:\kris\PPhead\test\display.exe 1539) frame 1: sp = 0x24EEBD0, pc =
0x77F94512
(d:\kris\PPhead\test\display.exe 1539) frame 2: sp = 0x24EEBF4, pc =
0x77F88EEB
(d:\kris\PPhead\test\display.exe 1539) frame 3: sp = 0x24EEC80, pc =
0x77F76266
(d:\kris\PPhead\test\display.exe 1539) frame 4: sp = 0x24EED9C, pc =
0x412016
(d:\kris\PPhead\test\display.exe 1539) frame 5: sp = 0x24EEDC0, pc =
0x4120C2
(d:\kris\PPhead\test\display.exe 1539) frame 6: sp = 0x24EEDD0, pc =
0x410EC4
(d:\kris\PPhead\test\display.exe 1539) frame 7: sp = 0x24EEEA4, pc =
0x407179
(d:\kris\PPhead\test\display.exe 1539) frame 8: sp = 0x24EEF9C, pc =
0x4035BB
(d:\kris\PPhead\test\display.exe 1539) frame 9: sp = 0x24EF03C, pc =
0x4611BB
(d:\kris\PPhead\test\display.exe 1539) frame 10: sp = 0x24EF148, pc =
0x401A08
(d:\kris\PPhead\test\display.exe 1539) frame 11: sp = 0x24EF238, pc = 0x1000
63BA

(d:\kris\PPhead\test\display.exe 1539) frame 12: sp = 0x24EFF94, pc =
0x100063CB

(d:\kris\PPhead\test\display.exe 1539) frame 13: sp = 0x24EFFA0, pc =
0x45E04D
(d:\kris\PPhead\test\display.exe 1539) frame 14: sp = 0x24EFFB0, pc =
0x40103B
(d:\kris\PPhead\test\display.exe 1539) frame 15: sp = 0x24EFFC0, pc =
0x77F1B304

(d:\kris\PPhead\test\display.exe 1539) End of stack trace (more stack frames
may
 be present)

I then tried to compile the example programs included in the X11
distribution. Here I stumbled on the problem that
a) people tell me I should mount my directories binary (which I did)
b) the example programs have the PC convention of CR LF, and so obviously
won't compile when on  a binary mount point. (aaarghhh)

So, I tried to compile them when they are not on a binary mount. Running
them gives me the same message about the missing dll (surprisingly enough
even when I link with the static libraries).

Here are  my questions:
- where/what is the missing dll
- what's wrong with the static libraries
- can I find the X11 examples in Unix LF convention ?
- what is the effect of using Coolview without binary mounts (sorry, I
didn't find this anywhere, even not on Sergey's homepage, not been looking
hard enough ?).

Thanks,

Kris

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".