Subject: Story about compiling MidNight Commander 4.1.9
From: [email-masked] (Andrew Lipnitsky)

13 Feb 1998 18:39:47 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=koi8-r
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Hi !!!

I have gnuwin32 b18 with coolview on WindowsNT 4.0 SP3.
(of course text=binary)

I have downloaded and installed ncurses-1.9.9e.
So, the next step is mc-4.1.9.

I am trying : ./configure --program-suffix=.exe

The first problem is that configure can not find some functions.

---------- snipped --- from -----config.log----------------------

gcc -o conftest -g -O conftest.c -lsocket
C:\TEMP\cc0022271.o: In function `t':
/usr/src/mc-4.1.9/configure:4513: undefined reference to `socket'
gcc -o conftest -g -O conftest.c
C:\TEMP\cc0022471.o: In function `t':
/usr/src/mc-4.1.9/configure:5118: undefined reference to `socket'
gcc -o conftest -g -O conftest.c -lbsd
/gxx/H-i386-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/i386-cygwin32/cygnus-2.7.2-970404/../../../../i386-cygwin32/bin/ld.exe:
cannot open -lbsd: No such file or directory
gcc -o conftest -g -O conftest.c -linet
/gxx/H-i386-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/i386-cygwin32/cygnus-2.7.2-970404/../../../../i386-cygwin32/bin/ld.exe:
cannot open -linet: No such file or directory
gcc -o conftest -g -O conftest.c
C:\TEMP\cc0022881.o: In function `t':
/usr/src/mc-4.1.9/configure:5210: undefined reference to `gethostbyname'

gcc -o conftest -g -O conftest.c
C:\TEMP\cc0023131.o: In function `t':
/usr/src/mc-4.1.9/configure:5301: undefined reference to `socketpair'

------------------------------------

The same problem was cropped up when I am trying to run
configure script with omniBroker-2.0.2 . In the last case
this was fatal error.
I guessed that is due to ld  think 'char gethostbyname();' (see
configure output below) and 'struct hostent * PASCAL gethostbyname(const
char * name);' ( from Sockets.h -file) are different functions?
Am I right?

---- snipped from omniBroker config.log --------

configure: failed program was:
#line 2948 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C"
#endif
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char gethostbyname();

int main() {
gethostbyname()
; return 0; }
-------------------------------------------------------

How I can avoid this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew Lipnitsky.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".