Subject: Re: Linux "bazaar" model (Re: Beta-19 and configurations....)
From: [email-masked] (Christopher Faylor)

13 Feb 1998 18:25:16 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

In article <[email-masked]>,
Daniel P. Kionka <[email-masked]> wrote:
>The issue of why Linux has been successful was the topic of our last
>Linux meeting.  (http://www.svlug.org/)  Eric Raymond talked about his
>paper, "The Cathedral and the Bazaar". 
>(http://earthspace.net/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/)
>
>The main difference is that Linus takes in all the fixes and constantly
>makes releases.  The users are happy to get bugs fixed, and the
>developers feel appreciated.  (There are stable releases, too.)  The way
>we are waiting so long for Beta-19 and the lack of response to
>contributors shows that we are using the cathedral approach instead.

You may be right as to the model being used, but I have seen very very
few contributors here.  In fact more than a few postings contain words to
the effect of "I haven't looked at the sources, but it seems to me..."
When I see those words I usually move on to the next article.

The feeling that "no one pays any attention to my posts" is not uncommon
on both the linux developer list and on the perl porters list.  I am
asserting that if more people actually took the time to look at the
sources and either 1) post patches or 2) make *informed* comments based
on the sources, then cygwin would be better off.
-- 
http://www.bbc.com/	[email-masked]			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".