Subject: Re: HUGE filesystem PROBLEM (too big to be true)
From: [email-masked] (Steven R. Newcomb)

13 Feb 1998 16:23:40 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

> In article <[email-masked]>,
> Nicola Bernardini  <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >... Now, looking at con.c with ls -l gives 
> >
> >crw-r--r--   0 0        Everyone   0,   0 Jan  1  1970 con.c
> >
> >which is to say that it sees it as a character device, the console!
> >
> >Does somebody have a clue on how to remove this thing? I do not
> >expect much out of Windows NT, but I hope this problem can be
> >solved via the cygwin platform...
> 
> When I have files like this, I've had some luck removing them by mounting
> the drive on another computer and using winfile, explorer, samba, or
> whatever to delete the file.

Yeah, I boot Linux, mount the windows partition (which must be FAT-16
because I haven't found adequate FAT-32 filesystem support, or NT
filesystem support, under Linux yet), and do what I like, typically
with the dired feature of Emacs.  It's just amazing how much easier
life is when using an OS, like Linux, that was designed to be useful,
rather than to fulfill some particular someone's particular business
purpose.

However, if there's a way around this kind of nonsense without having
to shut down Windows and boot a rational operating system, which is a
bothersome thing to have to do, I'd sure like to know.

-Steve

--
Steven R. Newcomb, President, TechnoTeacher, Inc.
[email-masked]  http://www.techno.com  ftp.techno.com

voice: +1 972 231 4098 (at ISOGEN: +1 214 953 0004 x137)
fax    +1 972 994 0087 (at ISOGEN: +1 214 953 3152)

3615 Tanner Lane
Richardson, Texas 75082-2618 USA
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".