Subject: Re: Runtime GNU-DLL with MSVC
From: [email-masked] (Matthew Brett)

13 Feb 1998 16:22:31 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]

Dear Gerd,

"we have the following problem:
We want to use a DLL (generated with gnu-win32) with a program generated
with MSVC 5.0.
We can load the library and we can get the ProcAdress of the function in
the DLL. By calling the function the program crashes. "

There's been some recent correspondence on this.  It seems that non gnuwin
appications that use DLLs that use the cygwin.dll - will crash because they 
have not initialised cygwin.dll properly.  This is done for gnuwin gcc apps
but not by apps that don't know about gnuwin.  There's a few messages about
DLLs and non gnuwin apps this month and last in the archives.  If you can't
get them, I'll send you copies.  The bottom line seems to be that there is
as yet no way round this, other than trying to get your VC++ code to initialise
the cygwin DLL, but I'm hazy on the details, and better men than me have tried
to explain this on the mailing list,

Cheers,

Matthew 
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".