Subject: Re: concurrency problem (crash) of gnuwin32 b18 in nt 4.0 sp3
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

13 Feb 1998 01:50:17 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

>Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 11:08:17 -0500
>From: "Fred T. Hamster" <[email-masked]>
>To: "Jason V. Robertson" <[email-masked]>
>CC: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: concurrency problem (crash) of gnuwin32 b18 in nt 4.0 sp3
>
>this is actually happening with a local install of gnuwin32.  i'm 
running on
>a 233 mhz dell here at work and on a 133 mhz gateway at home and they 
both
>exhibit this problem; perhaps the bug was extant in the earlier version 
but has
>been masked by other code until recently, or perhaps it's a nasty race
>condition.  yuk.

Most likely a race problem.  The gnuwin32 project is not completely 
thread safe.  The cygwin.dll attempts re-entrancy but I don't think it 
is complete yet.

>
>Jason V. Robertson wrote:
>> 
>> On Wednesday, Feb 11, 1998 "Fred T. Hamster" said:
>> 
>> > i've since been able to reproduce the crash problem i spoke of 
previously by
>> > running these two programs, each in a different cmd shell:
>> >
>> 
>> We had the same problem some time ago.  It went away when we moved 
the DLL from
>> a network drive to the C: drive.  Maybe it was just harder to catch 
the window
>> of vulnerability when the DLL was local or something, I don't know.
>> 
>> Jason
>> --
>>  Jason Robertson <[email-masked]>
>>  Ph: 552-0065
>
>-- 
>__________________ chosen by the Nechung Oracle program... 
__________________ 
> 
>Homer: But Marge! I was a political prisoner!
>Marge: How were you a political prisoner?
>Homer: I kicked a giant mouse in the butt!  Do I have to
>       draw you a picture?
> 
>_____________ not necessarily my opinions, not necessarily not. 
_____________
>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message 
to
>"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
>

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                     (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html           (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
ftp://ftp.deninc.com/pub (Den Internet Services - US mirror and ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/     (more - software portals)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/rpm   (Redhat Package Manager)

SEARCH ENGINES WITH gnu-win32 mail archive RELATED INDICIES:
http://www.findmail.com
http://www.search.com

add gnu-win32 or gnuwin32 to the search criteria.
______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".