Subject: GNU RCS with MinGW32 or CygWin32
From: [email-masked] (Brendan Simon)

13 Feb 1998 01:01:10 -0800
Message-ID: <c=AU%a=_%l=[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "'GNU-Win32'" <[email-masked]>

I wish to compile GNU RCS.
I wish to use this in an environment where Unix is not a concern (to
most anyway)
so I thought I would us MinGW32 as it is apparently quite a bit faster
than CygWin32.
Having used the CygWin stuff I have no reason to doubt it.  I'd prefer
to use CygWin
for the portability aspects and even simple tools like 'ls', 'cat',
'grep', etc.

Anyways the main problem with MinGW32 is that it does not handle
configure scripts.
Not knowing much about them I had a quick look at the script and it
looks like a
bash script.  Is this true ?  If so, then I guess I'd need bash ported
to MinGW32.
Is there one available ?

Am I fighting a loosing battle trying to compile this type of program
with MinGW32 ?
ie. Should I forget it and stick with CygWin ?

I have seen binary ports of GNU RCS before supposably done with DJGPP or
commercial
M$-Windows compilers.  How are these done without using configure.

Any help, advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Brendan Simon
[email-masked]

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".