Subject: Re: Problem with egcs
From: [email-masked]

13 Feb 1998 00:44:21 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: [email-masked]

>   Mumit Khan ([email-masked])
>[email-masked] writes:
>> Egcs works, I'm not denying that.  But, there is one problem:  If ld.exe
>> doesn't find a particular routine in a library, it returns an error number
>> which egcs reports.  Under gcc, you get a report of the name of the missing
>> routine, which is much more helpful.
>> -
>
>Please report these as bugs so we can fix them. Some of these are already
>listed in my web page, so that might also be a good place to look for them.
>
>This particular problem is due to a bug in freopen in cygwin32 (which is
>used within collect2). Delete (or rename) the ld.exe executable in the
>compiler directory and you should get what you expect.

Thanks very much.  I was just calling in to post the more conservative
version of your bugfix, which I found at your website and which I am sure
is useful to others as well.  I quote from your website:
=========================================================================
  Now onto the potential pitfalls:
     * collect2/ld problem: There is a bug in path handling of collect2
       (which is installed as ld.exe in the compiler library directory)
       that causes it to invoke itself instead of the GNU ld in the
       binary directory. The workaround is to copy the GNU ld to a file
       called collect-ld.exe in the directory where cc1.exe lives. You
       can find the full path to where cc1.exe lives with the following
       command:
     % gcc -print-prog-name=cc1

       Copy collect-ld.exe to that directory.
       The other solution, which is what I recommend now, is to simply
       delete (or rename) the ld.exe file the CPATH directory (ie., the
       compiler directory. See the FAQ for what CPATH stands for). The
       only thing you lose is the -frepo option for C++, but that's
       really not needed now that GNU linker discards duplicate
       templates.
 ========================================================================
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".