Subject: Linux "bazaar" model (Re: Beta-19 and configurations....)
From: [email-masked] (Daniel P. Kionka)

13 Feb 1998 00:08:41 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: gnu-win32 <[email-masked]>

The issue of why Linux has been successful was the topic of our last
Linux meeting.  (http://www.svlug.org/)  Eric Raymond talked about his
paper, "The Cathedral and the Bazaar". 
(http://earthspace.net/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/)

The main difference is that Linus takes in all the fixes and constantly
makes releases.  The users are happy to get bugs fixed, and the
developers feel appreciated.  (There are stable releases, too.)  The way
we are waiting so long for Beta-19 and the lack of response to
contributors shows that we are using the cathedral approach instead.

Dan Kionka

> Christopher Faylor ([email-masked])
> Tue, 10 Feb 1998 13:43:31 GMT
> ...
> 
> Since you mentioned Linux, allow me to point out that the model that
> worked very well for Linux does not seem to be happening here.  In Linux
> development there was a slow ramping up as people came on board,
> contributing their talents to the project in terms of *code* and actual
> useful work.  If a Makefile needed to be rewritten, it was rewritten.
> If a script was required, someone wrote it.  If a feature was needed
> somebody added it.
> 
> In the cygwin model, people contribute their opinions.  If a Makefile
> needs to be rewritten, somebody complains that the Makefile is not
> working as it should.  If a script is required, somebody is amazed that
> it is not already in existence.  If a feature is needed, somebody claims
> that they are now moving to OpenNT because it is missing.
> 
> I wish I understood why this is.  It would be nice to have an active
> community like Linux which had a core of helpful and knowledgable people
> willing to pitch in and fix things.  Alas, that does not seem to be the
> case here.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".