Subject: Re: Help compiling apps
From: [email-masked] (raf)

11 Feb 1998 22:00:01 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

fabrizio wrote:
>raf wrote:
>>>I'm trying to compile tcsh, too. But the configure script doesn't start.
>>>It says:
>>>checking for the canonical name of this system... unknown
>>>configure: error: Tcsh can't guess the configuration file name for
>>>`unknown' systems.

>> the files 'config.guess' and 'config.sub' are too old and don't
>> know about cygwin32. download and install the latest versions of
>> autoconf and/or automake from gnu (http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html).
>> replace the aforementioned files with those found in either of these
>> packages. try again.

>Ok, I've installed the new versions. Now I get:

>loading cache ./config.cache
>checking for the canonical name of this system... i386-pc-cygwin32
>configure: error: Tcsh can't guess the configuration file name
>for `i386-pc-cygwin32' systems.

this sounds like it's using the system name to select a configuration
file to use next but 'configure' itself doesn't know about cygwin32 so
there is no such file (i'm only guessing).

look at 'configure' to see where it's falling over and change it until
it's satisfied. you can probably snarf an existing configuration file
for your purposes.

>Check tcsh's `Ported' file for manual configuration instructions.

a very good suggestion. do this first.

raf

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".