Subject: Re: Beta-19 and configurations....
From: [email-masked] (Guy Gascoigne - Piggford)

10 Feb 1998 20:06:36 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]

At 01:43 PM 2/10/98 GMT, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>This suggestion is like 99% of the, um, stuff on this mailing list.  It
>is full of ideas for "somebody else" to implement.  This list is full of
>managers but there are very very very few workers.
>
>Since you mentioned Linux, allow me to point out that the model that
>worked very well for Linux does not seem to be happening here.  In Linux
>development there was a slow ramping up as people came on board,
>contributing their talents to the project in terms of *code* and actual
>useful work.  If a Makefile needed to be rewritten, it was rewritten.
>If a script was required, someone wrote it.  If a feature was needed
>somebody added it.
>
>In the cygwin model, people contribute their opinions.  If a Makefile
>needs to be rewritten, somebody complains that the Makefile is not
>working as it should.  If a script is required, somebody is amazed that
>it is not already in existence.  If a feature is needed, somebody claims
>that they are now moving to OpenNT because it is missing.
>
>I wish I understood why this is.  It would be nice to have an active
>community like Linux which had a core of helpful and knowledgable people
>willing to pitch in and fix things.  Alas, that does not seem to be the
>case here.

Part of this could be that when we ask how we can contribute, we get no
response!  I've asked at least twice how I could pass on my set of changes
to bash so that they could be further intergrated (or canned if they aren't
appropriate). Total response - NIL.  After a while you just give up, fix it
for yourself and resign yourself to having to fix it again later.

Guy

-- 
Guy Gascoigne - Piggford ([email-masked])
Software Engineer, Informix Software, Inc. (Portland, Oregon)

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".