Subject: Re: Newbie pb... and solution, and some questions and hints.
From: [email-masked] (Larry Hall)

9 Feb 1998 19:23:30 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: "Earnie Boyd" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

At 06:02 AM 2/9/98 PST, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>
>
>>Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 09:42:14 +0100 (MET)
>>From: Francois Felix Ingrand <[email-masked]>
>>To: [email-masked]
>>Subject: Newbie pb... and solution, and some questions and hints.
>>Reply-To: [email-masked]

<snip>

>>- Using NTEmacs, I ran in the pb with ^M at the of the bash input line. 
>This
>>does not seem to be a text!=binary issue. I found a bash lisp function 
>in the
>>archive which works fine.
>
>Please, post your findings to the list with exactly how to use it and 
>examples.  Many have had this problem, but I haven't seen a 
>fix/work-around posted.
>

The workaround I've seen is to build emacs in gnuwin32, although I expect 
this can't be done without some pain too.  Not having (or using) emacs, I
can't be sure but I'd venture a guess that emacs is assuming that the 
command shell it uses on Windows wants "text mode" input and is handing
that to bash, which wants binary.  Given the plethora of options,
configuration settings, and keystrokes in emacs that do everything from 
formatting your text to cooking your dinner (well, almost), it seems to me 
that there would be some combination of all of those that would fairly 
easily allow you to filter out (or keep them from being added in the first
place!) those pesky \r's.  However, if this hypothesis is true, someone
more knowledgeable (or more interested in poking around in emacs) will
have to answer with specifics of how to do this.  I'd suggest consulting 
the emacs mailing list too...
Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (781) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                          (781) 239-1655 - FAX
Wellesley, MA  02181                    http://www.rfk.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".