Subject: Re: Newbie questions
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

9 Feb 1998 06:12:48 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

Hi Silas,

Since it appears that you are more interested in a true Win32 
environment you might take a look at the Mingw32 ports available via 
Colin Peters' page whose URL is listed below.

The Cygnus project adds a UNIX layer between tools and executables.  
This adds overhead that you may not be interested in.  The Mingw32 
project removed the dependency on the cygwin.dll.  When files are read 
by programs built with Mingw32 and the default modes are used on the 
open function, the programs will read \n or \r\n and write \r\n.

You will also find your one parameter mkdir function and your strlwr 
function.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                     (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html           (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
ftp://ftp.deninc.com/pub (Den Internet Services - US mirror and ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/     (more - software portals)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/rpm   (Redhat Package Manager)

>From: "Silas S. Brown" <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 22:55:36 +0000
>Subject: Newbie questions
>
>I guess that these are really silly questions for the list, but I 
>can't find the answers in the FAQ or the archives - maybe somebody 
>could put them in the FAQ?
>
>1.  Why don't functions like strlwr() seem to be included?  They're 
>in the standard (I think).
>
>2.  Why does mkdir() have a second integer parameter? - I've never 
>seen this on any other compiler.
>
>3.  The FAQ says that Cygnus can't re-distribute the Microsoft API 
>header files, but that it is building up a set of its own.  I tried 
>searching all of the include files for a few functions (like 
>midiOutOpen) but couldn't find them.  Is this because the set is 
>incomplete?  Is there anywhere where one can download the Microsoft 
>header files, and can these then be used?
>
>4.  When I try using Cygnus to write a CGI "script", MS Internet 
>Services complains that "The script misbehaved by returning an 
>incomplete set of headers".  It seems that it isn't even executing at 
>all.  However, when I run it from Command Prompt (with an artificial 
>QUERY_STRING), everything is fine.  It also works on other systems.  
>Is there any reason why this is happening?
>
>Many thanks
>
>Regards
>
>-- Silas S. Brown, http://www.bigfoot.com/~silasbrown/ (free music 
program etc)
>
>"Time and unforseen occurance befall them all" - Ecclesiastes 9:11
>
>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message 
to
>"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
>

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".